In 2019, statistics show that there are 3.2 billion social media users worldwide. Unless your brand has a unique name, it’ll be guaranteed that the social handle you want has already been taken.
First things first let’s start with the basics, what is a social media handle?
It’s a good idea that you keep your social media handles consistent across all the social media platforms you use.
Why do my social media handles need to be consistent?
Your handle is your online identity which is why it's so important to have a consistent social media handle across all social channels.
These are just a few reasons why having a consistent handle is important to your business:
- It makes it easy for your target audience to find your company on social media.
- Shows professionalism.
- Easy for your target audience to remember.
- A cleaner look on marketing materials.
Now we’ve discussed why your social handles need to be consistent, how do you choose your social handle?
Choosing your social handle
Most businesses will use their company name as their social media handle. This is all well and good, but how do you see if this handle is available across all platforms? Namecheckr is a great tool to use. You simply type in the handle name and it will tell you if it's available or not.
Consider the below when choosing your social media handles:
- It should be simple to remember and simple to spell.
- Try to use the same name as your domain if you can.
- A Twitter handle has a character limit of 15. So, it’s best to have all your social handles 15 characters or less.
- If your chosen social handle isn’t available you can add terms such as “HQ”, “Official”
- Stay clear of using words associated with certain trends. Trends are constantly changing all the time.
- Don’t mimic someone else’s social handle.
If you've picked your social media usernames and you're looking to boost your online presence, we can help you grow! Get in touch to find out more about our social media packages.